Sunday, May 9, 2010

mini apple pies.

Here is a recipe that I've been meaning to post for quite some time! I actually have been thinking about it so much that I started thinking that maybe I already posted it?! I don't think I did and since I'm too lazy at the moment to go back and check my previous posts, I'll just post it! So if you've already seen this from me before, sorry...but since it's sooo good, I'm sure not too many of you will mind!

Mini Apple Pies!

Crust:
3-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 t. sea salt
1 cup melted butter (or coconut oil)
1 cup plain yogurt

Stir together until thoroughly mixed. Work it with your hands awhile before seperating it into about 24 pieces. Roll each piece into a little circle. Place each little circle into a well greased/buttered muffin pan. (Don't worry about it looking pretty...the taste will make up for it!)


Filing:
about 3 pounds of apples (about 12 smallish apples)
about 1/2 - 3/4 cup brown sugar (or rapadura)
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Peel apples and cut them into small chunks. Add sugar and cinnamon. Stir well and cook over med heat until apples are tender and a syrup has formed (about 10 mins)

Fill each (unbaked) crust with apple pie filling.


In bowl stir together topping ingredients:
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
2-4 T. brown sugar (or rapadura)
3 T. melted butter

Sprinkle topping all over the tops of your little pies. Bake at 375 for 20-30 mins until golden brown. Enjoy!



You can also make this up ahead of time, freeze them, and then take them out and have a very quick breakfast or dessert!

Once you have them in the muffin tins with the topping on and ready to go, place the whole thing in the freezer for a couple of hours. Remove it from the freezer and allow to sit on the counter for about 10 mins. Use a fork to gently lift them out of the pan. Place them in a ziploc bag and put them back into the freezer.

Once your ready to bake them, take them directly out of the freezer and bake at 375 for 35-40 mins! Yummy!!

No comments: