Sunday, February 28, 2010

one of those days, continued.

If you haven't read the first 'one of those days' post, please scroll down and read that one first. This is the 'continued' part :)

So after Nathan got home, I put the supper on the table. Brocolli cheese soup and chateau potatoes, which has become our new favorite potatoes!!! (Legatt family recipe) I dished up Nathan's plate while he was washing his hands and if you know Nathan, you know how many mashed potatoes this guy can eat! So I put his plate on the table, obviously too close to Ariella. I turned around in time to see the plate full of potatoes fall to the floor, face down on the carpet. yes, carpet. You know, it would be too easy to put vinyl under the table, right? And also just so you know, 4 out of the last 5 places that we have lived, have had carpet in the dining room under the table!! And remember all the little kids we have?? Yeah...I do a lot of vacuuming!!

Anyway, so the plate was on the floor along with all his potatoes. "Now that makes me mad!" Nathan said as he stared at his potatoes. (But don't worry, I later scooped them off the floor and he ate them anyway!!)

BUT, (there's always a but!!) before I scooped them up, Tiernan decided they looked fun and jumped down, grabbed his remote control car and drove it through the potatoes, furthering the mess on the carpet and getting his car wheels full of potatoes!


I had finally gotten all the dishes clean and I sat down on the couch, when all of a sudden we heard this "PPPPPPSSSSSSHHHHHHHH" noise under the sink. The hoses had come apart under the sink and the pressurized water was shooting out of the pipe! (Ironically I had just told Nathan that there was a slow leak under the sink that he should probably look at...we just replaced the kitchen and bathroom faucets.) By the time Nathan could dash outside and shut the water off (like 10 seconds!), it had filled our kitchen garbage half full!! We are so thankful it happened when it did though and not when we were gone or sleeping. This place would have been completely flooded within a matter of minutes!

So he figured out the problem (the inserts were missing in the connections of the pipes) and went to Lowes before they closed to get the piece he needed.

BUT...remember the but?...once he got home, he looked at the other connection and saw that that one was missing the insert too. So we kept the water off overnight and he went back to Lowes this morning to get another one. We got the water going and were all able to take a shower before church! (btw, I showered all the kids, got them all ready (dressed, brushed teeth, socks/shoes on, potty, etc), showered and got ready myself, and nathan shaved/showered/got ready all within 45 minutes! Pretty good huh??

So from now on we will try not to burn down the place or flood it...especially in the same day!

And for those donuts that made things a little bit brighter amongst the chaos?

Well, I just thought I'd share....

Whole Wheat Donuts
3 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. nutmeg
2/3 cup sugar (preferably rapadura, but sucanut, white, etc would work too)
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter
Oil for frying (I use coconut oil)

Mix dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Stir in eggs, vanilla, milk and melted butter. Knead dough a few minutes to make sure all ingredients are mixed thoroughly.
On a floured surface, roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with donut cutter, or biscuit cutter. Heat oil in skillet…enough to cover the bottom of the skillet about 1/4 inch. Place donuts into the hot oil to fry for 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet and place on a paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle a mixture of sugar and cinnamon, or sprinkle some powdered sugar over the hot donuts.

1 comment:


the donuts look great! can't wait to try them. i read in here that you were trying to break the pop habit. have you tried kombucha?